Why join us?
Joining SfAM is easy, and membership offers a range of benefits. Check below for the right category to suit you, and discover what you can gain from your membership.
For those based in the UK (includes all member benefits)
£50 per year
For those outside the UK (includes all member benefits)
£50 per year*
*If you are based in a lower, lower-middle or middle income country (as defined by the World Bank here), we offer a discounted rate of £5, £25 or £37.50 respectively. Please contact us to arrange this discount.
EARLY CAREER SCIENTIST (ECS) MEMBERSHIP
For students or those under the age of 28 based in the UK (includes all member benefits)
£25 per year or £12.50 for undergraduates*
*Please contact us to arrange an undergraduate discount.
For those with an interest in Microbiology (does not include grants, journals or hard copies of our magazine)
£12.50 per year
BY WRITTEN APPLICATION ONLY
Life Membership is free to retired members, or those nominated by the Executive Committee.
Fellowship is awarded to those whose have made an outstanding contribution to the field of microbiology or to the Society.
As a member you join a prestigious and diverse community that has a powerful voice in raising the profile of applied microbiology. Together we can ensure the applications of microbiology have an impact on the global challenges and issues that are important to us all.
You can get actively involved with the Society, helping us to shape the field, and to support innovation in microbiology and its application in the real world.
Our members are the heart of our organisation, and we pride ourselves by adding value to membership through our member benefits.
Access to our five peer-reviewed journals, published in association with Wiley:
- Journal of Applied Microbiology (JAM)
- Letters in Applied Microbiology (LAM)
- Environmental Microbiology (EM)
- Environmental Microbiology Reports (EMR)
- Microbial Biotechnology (MB)
- Receive our topical quarterly Microbiologist magazine
- Access the entire digital collection of JAM & LAM journals dating back to 1938
- Read our monthly e-newsletter - keeping you up-to-date with news and events
GRANTS & FUNDING
We support our members with a range of funding opportunities, including:
- Up to £1200 to assist you in presenting at a scientific meeting or attending a workshop
- Scientific meeting grants to cover of attendance fees of up to £300
- Work experience grants of up to £2,500 for undergraduates or recent graduates
- Newly appointed lecturers in their first academic appointment can pump-prime their research with a grant of up to £10,000
- Public engagement grants of £3,000 to promote microbiology to the general public
Details of all funding opportunities can be found here – terms and conditions apply.
EVENTS & NETWORKING
- FREE entry to the annual EMI and JAM lectures
- Hugely reduced registration fees to our varied events programme
- Be part of a community of worldwide professionals in over 65 countries
- Access to the private members’ area of the SfAM website
- Join our dynamic and fast-growing Early Career Scientists (ECS) group
- 35% discount on Wiley-Blackwell’s extensive collection of book titles
- Win one of our prizes awarded for achievements in communications and public engagement within microbiology
- Submit an article for MicrobeBlog.org – SfAM’s popular blogging site
- Nominate a candidate for the prestigious WH Pierce Prize, awarded for a substantial contribution to applied microbiology
- Keep informed and get heard – we’ll update you on parliamentary enquiries, government consultations and other opportunities to engage with policy-makers
- SfAM works closely with the Science Media Centre and with our membership to provide expert advice for journalists
- Have your say – with opportunities to question MPs at Voice of the Future, and media training at the Voice of Young Science workshops
- Engage with the public – join us at public events, science fairs and family days, improve your science communication skills and get people talking about microbiology
- Contribute to SfAM by standing for election for the Executive Committee
- Join our various subcommittees including the ECS group, Policy Subcomittee, Finance Subcomittee or the Microbiologist Editorial Group
For further information email us.